Jung So-yun is not your typical painter. The medium she employs doesn’t consist of paint and a paintbrush but thread and a sewing machine. With this medium, she creates large-scale landscape paintings composed of textile layers. Such works, described as having “a lingering sense of peacefulness and sublimity,” are reminiscent of sansuhwa, Korean landscape paintings depicting mountains and water.
Jung’s artistic journey began at university, where she majored in textile art. Her career took off in 2020 with a solo exhibition at the Korea Craft and Design Foundation (KCDF) gallery in Insa-dong in Jongno District, Seoul. In 2022, she was on the short list for the Loewe Foundation Craft Prize for her seminal work, Someone is Praying for You.
Jung’s textile works take inspiration from nature and other natural phenomena. She tries to portray their energy by weaving lines and spaces into an organic form. Throughout the process, she ruminates on profound topics such as the essence of life and sublimity. The works, meanwhile, convey the message that one should be patient and resilient during rough times.
The fabrication of textile works encompasses several steps. The artist first decides what to “draw” with thread, and then an outline is sketched on alginate foil, a fabric that dissolves in water. Afterwards, the sewing process begins, moving the needle along the sketched outline. A contrasting effect is made by dying the thread in different colors or controlling the density of the sewing. Finally, the entire piece is submerged in water, which leaves just the thread behind.
Jung mainly uses monofilament thread, a transparent fiber made of nylon. The thread is both robust and pliable, making them ideal for fishing. Moreover, they are lightweight and don’t get tangled up easily or rot, making them suitable art materials.
Serena Park Staff Reporter teen/1708395857/1613367716
1. What does paragraph 1 say about Jung So-yun and her works?
2. What are the inspirations for Jung So-yun's works? How does she portray them? What does she do throughout the process?
3. What are the steps in the fabrication of textile works? Describe each in detail.
4. What is monofilament thread? Describe its use in detail.
1. What do you think about Jung So-yun's art?
2. What can be inspirations for your artworks? Explain.
3. What takes a lot of effort to create? Explain.
4. What are some materials used in making art? Describe in detail.