What’s your favorite burger? If you’re a fan of Burger King, you might be disappointed to find out that there isn’t one in Australia. But don’t worry! You can have a similar burger at Hungry Jack’s. Hungry Jack’s is an Australian fast food franchise of Burger King Corporation. So, why is it called Hungry Jack’s instead?
When the American hamburger chain tried to enter Australia, there was already a takeaway food shop in Adelaide named Burger King. So Jack Cowin, the owner of the Burger King franchise in Australia, had to choose another name among the list of existing trademarks registered by Burger King. Cowin picked “Hungry Jack” and slightly changed it by adding an apostrophe and an “s.” In the end, the first Australian Burger King franchise, Hungry Jack’s, was established in the city of Perth on Apr. 18, 1971.
In 1996, the name Burger King finally became available to use. A year later, Burger King Corporation opened its own restaurants under the original trademark to compete against Hungry Jack’s. Therefore, Cowin sued Burger King Corporation and won the case. As a result, the existing Burger King locations in Australia were renamed to Hungry Jack’s.
Yeri Chang Staff Reporter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Where can you have a similar burger to Burger King's in Australia?
2. Why isn't there any Burger King in Australia?
3. Why did Jack Cowin sue Burger King Corporation?
1. What is your favorite burger franchise?
2. Do you think Hungry Jack’s has to be renamed as Burger King? Why or why not?
3. If you open your own burger shop, what will you name it?